The Department of Computer Science at the Faculty of Science of the University of Helsinki invites applications for a Professor or Assistant/Associate Professor in Artificial And Human Intelligence. The position is part of the University of Helsinki profiling action on ‘Mind and Matter – foundations of information, intelligence and consciousness,’ aiming to strengthen new interdisciplinary research areas at the university. We are looking for a new Professor to carry out research into the fundamentals of artificial intelligence, combining computer science with studies of the brain and the mind. The person to be chosen must have a strong scientific track record in the computer science of artificial intelligence, and preferably also interdisciplinary experience with fields such as neuroscience, cognitive science or psychology. The University of Helsinki, and the Mind and Matter action in particular, offer excellent potential collaborators in the relevant areas.
The appointee is expected to conduct research on an internationally high level. We expect a strong network of international and interdisciplinary cooperation and collaboration. The teaching area of the position is Data Science and Computer Science. The person chosen for the position is expected to teach and develop teaching in the Master’s programmes in Data Science and Computer Science, and the Bachelor programme in Computer Science or Science. In addition, the appointee will participate in doctoral education at the Department of Computer Science, collaborate with other groups in the Mind and Matter action, acquire research funding for her or his research group, and participate in the interaction between science and society at large.
The successful applicant may be appointed to a permanent full professorship or a fixed-term assistant/ associate professorship (tenure track), depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. For more information on the career path and a description of the tenure track model at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-track-at-the-university-of-helsinki
A full professor must hold a doctoral degree in Computer Science or other relevant field and have high-level academic qualifications and experience in heading scientific research. The professor must also be able to provide research-based teaching of high quality, supervise dissertations and theses as well as show evidence of international cooperation in the field.
An assistant/associate professor must hold a doctoral degree in Computer Science or other relevant field and have demonstrated ability for independent scientific work as well as as well as skills to teach the in the above-mentioned programmes. Furthermore, the successful candidate is expected to have competence and motivation for scientific career proven by scientific publications and other academic activities.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• applicant’s expertise in the research field (artificial intelligence)
• experience in interdisciplinary research related to studies of the brain and the mind
• scientific publications and other research results of scientific value
• experience in successfully leading research projects
• success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, pedagogical training, as well as other teaching merits
• international research experience, other international experience and positions of trust
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work and the research field in general
To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee must be fluent in English. If the appointee is not proficient in Finnish or Swedish, he/she is expected to acquire moderate proficiency within a reasonable time after the appointment. Support for language studies is offered.
What do we offer?
The University will offer the appointee an attractive career opportunity in top-level research and research-based teaching, possibilities for international collaboration, and for the appointed assistant/associate professor prerequisites to grow into full professorship. In addition to the funding possibilities offered by the national funding agencies, the Faculty of Science opens calls on a yearly basis for infrastructure funding. The selected person will also get a startup package of about 160 000 EUR.
The annual gross salary for an assistant/associate professor amounts to 50,000 - 68,500 euros and for full professor to 64,000 - 96,000 euros.
The University of Helsinki offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and health insurance, sports facilities, and opportunities for professional development. The International Staff Services office (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university) assists employees from abroad with their transition to work and life in Finland.
How to apply
Applications must have the following attachments as a one single pdf file (in English):
1) A cover letter
2) An academic portfolio approved by the Faculty (as set out at https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-science/faculty/join-us/academic-portfolio), containing a presentation on how the applicant plans to develop her/his field and its teaching, and a list of publications
Please submit your application with the attachments via the University of Helsinki Recruitment System by clicking the Apply for the position button below. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal (https://saphr.it.helsinki.fi/irj/portal).
At the Faculty’s request, short-listed applicants should prepare to submit up to 10 publications of their choice to be sent to assessors after the application period.
Further information on the position and the working environment may be obtained from
• About the position and the operational environment: Department of Computer Science, Professor Sasu Tarkoma or Hannu Toivonen, sasu.tarkoma(at)helsinki.fi or hannu.toivonen(at)helsinki.fi
• About the recruitment process, tenure track model and academic portfolio: HR Specialist Jussi Hartikainen, jussi.a.hartikainen(at)helsinki.fi
• Technical support with the recruitment system is provided by recruitment(at)helsinki.fi
Application deadline is the 30th of November 2019.